BFF – Brain Friendly Fitness!
Maintaining your mobility is of paramount importance as you age. When you lose your ability to move around unaided, it’s all downhill from there.
BUT….did you know that daily movement will DECREASE your risk of Alzheimer’s by 44%!! That statistic comes from leading Psychiatrist, Researcher & Author who specializes in Alzheimer’s and wrote the book Grain Brain – Dr. David Perlmutter.
Dr. Perlmutter says the first and most important prescription he writes for his patients is: EXERCISE !! The 5 factors – S.H.I.N.E. – that will greatly improve your brain health are:
- SLEEP – the brain needs 8 hours to detox and restore cellular health. Restorative sleep is BRAIN TONIC!
- HORMONES – stress related hormones such as Cortisol, keep you brain on Fight, Flight or Freeze. Over time, this decreases brain mass in the Hippocampus the part of the brain that is critical for memory.
- INFECTION – any kind of infection in the gut, will ultimately affect brain function. i.e. Candida, Parasites. These conditions can be easily diagnosed and eliminated.
- NUTRITION – A carbohydrate based diet increases your risk of Alzheimer’s by 80-85%. A fat based diet decreases your risk by 45%. Sugar and carbs are the problem when it comes to brain health. Good fats are the solution.
- EXERCISE – daily movement is an investment in your long term brain health. It’s not just for muscles. Exercise will also assist your body in detoxing the toxins that cause dysfunction in every organ and cell whether its from food, air, water or the creams, cleaners, cosmetics we use every day.
You don’t have to go to the gym, lift weights, or take up running to be healthy.
- Carry the groceries
- Take the stairs
- Park farther away from the store
- Wash the dishes
- Walk to the mailbox
- Sit/Stand while working on your computer
There are endless opportunities, every day. I know you can add to this list. Start today. …….Just Move!